LumberJocks

Yin Yang centerpiece / serving boards

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by BillGo updated 01-20-2021 10:05 PM 4 parts 2790 reads 4 comments total

Part 1: template creation

01-17-2021 02:42 AM by BillGo | 0 comments »

I have a friend that asked for help making a Yin Yang centerpiece. The ask was for two pieces made from light and dark wood that fit together to make a centerpiece 20” in diameter, with two 4” holes that hold candle jars. They want two separate pieces that can be used as wood serving boards, so they need to have a food safe finish. Wood:I am thinking walnut and maple, as those are good for serving boards with their tight grains, so they are easy to clean and not susceptible to ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: flush trim failures

01-18-2021 05:28 AM by BillGo | 3 comments »

Overnight, I glued up two panels I would use for the yin/yang pieces. I made one of maple and one of walnut, both 21” square. This would give me enough wood to make two of the centerpieces… When I looked at the pattern to make one, there was so much waste, it was only slightly more wood to make two. I took the squares and using the templates, traced them out on the bg squares with a little space around them so I could cut them apart with the band saw. I should have taken more p...

Read this entry »


Part 3: flush trim success

01-19-2021 04:24 AM by BillGo | 0 comments »

I set out today to use the spare glue ups to try and address as many of the four issues identified in the last post. Because I was starting with the glue ups I already had, I could not address the grain orientation issue, but i could try to address the other three issues: the router bit, the prioritization of lines to flush trim approach, and the direction of cut. The bit: This is the Whiteside UDC9112 compression flush trim bit. I kept the “bite size” about the same to be c...

Read this entry »


Part 4: sanding and finish

01-20-2021 10:05 PM by BillGo | 1 comment »

First, I had several dents in the maple that I wanted to get out. For the first time, I used an iron with a wet towel to “steam” those dents back out. It worked great! I was impressed! Lots of sanding – 120, 220, 320. I did the 220 sanding twice. The second time after dampening the wood to raise the grain. The toughest part, was removing the black around the edges left by the router bit. I did that using the drum sander, but being very careful not to change the line, espe...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com