LumberJocks

Pergola

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Bermuda_Les updated 05-18-2015 04:52 PM 9 parts 13436 reads 30 comments total

Part 1: Replacing Damaged Pergola

02-20-2015 10:07 PM by Bermuda_Les | 1 comment »

Well we had a couple of hurricanes pass through here a few months back, and they damaged a couple of pergolas we had over some sliding doors. One I won’t replace, but the other was over my step-son’s main entrance, so that needs replacing. I decided not to replace with Redwood which is what the original was, but to use Wolmanized Pitch Pine. My god that stuff is heavy! Each board must weigh almost 100lbs! Here is a photo of the posts (4X4X10 – will need to cut to 8̵...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Call in the cheap labour...

02-23-2015 08:23 PM by Bermuda_Les | 5 comments »

I was blessed to have my youngest son Dave (doing his impression of the Lumberjocks Logo) do all the planing of the boards yesterday, at 100lbs per board it sure saved my back, although I know he’s feeling it today. I couldn’t thank him enough, but he shrugged it off saying “What else do you have sons for?” I truly appreciated the help… and kept the refreshment coming… While Dave was busy doing the heavy work, I repaired the patio wit...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Necessity is the mother of invention...

03-02-2015 01:54 PM by Bermuda_Les | 5 comments »

So this Sunday we needed to trim all the boards to 6” wide. Having picked up the table saw on Saturday from the workshop (in the pouring rain) and somehow managing to fit it in the back of the car, we took it to the house. Sunday was a relatively nice day, so it was game on. The minute I started to trim the boards, I realized that I had forgotten to bring my safety glasses from the workshop, and the 24 tooth blade that I had selected for this job was chucking tons of chips and sawdust...

Read this entry »


Part 4: An Easy Day Cutting Angles

03-08-2015 05:02 PM by Bermuda_Les | 7 comments »

Today was the day for cutting all those really heavy boards to length, thus making them easier to handle, cut the angle to match the 10° slope of the boards and put a very simple detail on the front. All in all we had an easy day, only putting in 3 hours. Next will be cutting the notches in all the boards to mate up with the ledger board and the two stringers. First I need to make a jig to allow cutting the notches using a router. I have ordered a a router bit with a 2 1/2” cut...

Read this entry »


Part 5: After a long delay, back on the job...

04-20-2015 12:13 PM by Bermuda_Les | 2 comments »

After many weeks away from the pergola project, which included an unexpected trip trip to Johns Hopkins in Maryland, I am back on track I hope. Finally got around to making the jig I need to cut the notches in the pergola slats. First I needed to make a template at the correct angle (105°) for the notch… which went smoothly, and gives me the necessary shape to align the jig. Next I made the spacers, each angled at 105°, for the inside of the jig. Initially they were b...

Read this entry »


Part 6: The best laid plans...

04-26-2015 09:40 PM by Bermuda_Les | 6 comments »

I’d love to be able to say that all went well in this weekends pergola work, but sadly that’s not the case. The jig performed as expected, and dare I say was doing a grand job until all of a sudden something went horribly wrong. The wood was just to much for the equipment. Either the 3” pattern bit (1/2”) bent or I’ve forever damaged the shaft of my $300 – $400 Bosch router, I’m hoping it’s the bit. But it suddenly started to vibrate uncon...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Made major progress this weekend...

05-03-2015 09:04 PM by Bermuda_Les | 4 comments »

On Saturday, I erected one of the upright 4 X 4’s, and bolted it to a pillar. I put a couple of test pieces on the top so I could place a rafter on it to determine the actual height of the ledger board on the wall. It was a lot of work for me, because my dedicated helpers were missing yesterday. But I struggled through, but by the end of the day I was whacked. Here was yesterday’s accomplishment. With this post in place and a rafter placed on it, I was able to m...

Read this entry »


Part 8: A slight miscalculation...

05-11-2015 02:56 PM by Bermuda_Les | 0 comments »

Well this was the weekend that the pergola was to be completed. But the slight miscalculation was that I forgot it was “Mother’s Day” this weekend. And my presence at the “Mother’s Day” lunch was not to be missed. As many of you may know, if the mamma duck ain’t happy, ain’t NOBODY happy. So had to spend about 4 hours on “other than pergola” work. Anyway, left son Dave to continue on in my absence, but as he was working alone...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Finished - At last!

05-18-2015 04:52 PM by Bermuda_Les | 0 comments »

Well this weekend saw the final two timbers go into position on the pergola. And at last the structural part of this project is complete. Still has to be painted and some kind of polycarbonate sheeting put up, but I’m calling this done. Here’s a couple of pics of the finished pergola with my hard working son who did the lion’s share of the work, surveying his accomplishment.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com