LumberJocks

Cabinet/Bookshelves

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Bermuda_Les updated 05-11-2017 02:00 PM 11 parts 12704 reads 20 comments total

Part 1: In the beginning there was darkness...

01-13-2015 08:12 PM by Bermuda_Les | 0 comments »

So after many years of promising the good woman I would build her some cabinet/bookshelves, I have finally begun that daunting task. I have never tackled a furniture project before, but having spent many years making custom presentation case for firearms, I thought I’d give it a try. Here is a Stetchup drawing of kinda what I’m trying to achieve. The drawing lacks the doors that will be on the bottom cabinets and any molding trim top and bottom. But hopefully it will give yo...

Read this entry »


Part 2: And so it begins...

01-13-2015 08:22 PM by Bermuda_Les | 2 comments »

Here is the first half case of the base for one of the cabinet/bookshelves… And a little while later, along came another… Seeing as how I haven’t totally screwed the entire project yet, I tried to get faceframes on the cases… Well, so far so good… now we need to make the top. That should tax my limited skill set!! (pictures when the top is done)

Read this entry »


Part 3: Can it be? I'm actually back on this project?

10-31-2016 07:51 PM by Bermuda_Les | 2 comments »

Well it’s been almost two years since I stopped work on this project. A number of things combined to get in the way, not the least of which was a sale of the property where my workshop was. This really threw me for a loop, as for well over six months I had no workshop facility at all, until I finally built a vinyl 10’ X 15’ shed (see build blog elsewhere on this site). Then there was a pergola to build and multiple chicken coops (also on this site), and now at long last I...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Don't wanna come "un-hinged"...

11-03-2016 12:09 PM by Bermuda_Les | 2 comments »

So I’ve decided to tackle the doors for the cabinets next in this project. And while I’m at it, I’ll do both doors necessary for this cabinet/bookcase. I took down a nice piece of mahogany, and it’s big enough that I can get two doors out of it. But before I start ripping the stiles and rails, I gave some thought to the type of hinges I would be using. After some consideration, I think European concealed hinges will work better in this application than the standar...

Read this entry »


Part 5: The Doors... (no not the group!)

11-07-2016 01:49 PM by Bermuda_Les | 0 comments »

So this weekend saw me putting together the doors for the Cabinet Base. Made from 3/4” mahogany ripped to 2-1/2” wide. Having cut all the stiles and rails to length, I sanded all the edges… Cut and tested the groove on the ply panel before doing grooves in all the stock. Then I cut the tongues in the rails… Then a quick dry fit to make sure everything was in order, followed by a glue up and clamp overnight. That’s it for t...

Read this entry »


Part 6: The devil is in the details... for real!

11-07-2016 03:12 PM by Bermuda_Les | 2 comments »

So Sunday I had planned to put some moulding details on the doors, so they wouldn’t look so plain. I wanted to put a 1/4” quarter round around the inside of the door panel, and 1/2” half round set about 2” inside of that on the panel to give a little detail to break up the plain-ness of the doors. I soon discovered that they don’t make 1/4” quarter round, so I had to buy 1/2” quarter round, which I cut down to meet my needs. Last year I had purcha...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Finishing... no, not really.

11-21-2016 02:21 PM by Bermuda_Les | 2 comments »

Well I stained the cabinet base, the top and the doors, and this weekend started to apply the shellac. I chose shellac primarily for its incredibly fast drying time. With all my furry helpers, dry time is important!! :-) Next week I’ll put on the base and top moulding, wax everything, and put on the doors.

Read this entry »


Part 8: Cabinet Base Finally Finished

02-24-2017 03:19 PM by Bermuda_Les | 0 comments »

I got a little distracted towards the end of the year and didn’t get around to updating this project at LumberJacks. I finally finished the Base Unit, stained everything, applied the shellac, put the doors on, and voilá… The Base is now in place on the right of the fireplace, and already the wife has knick-knacks on it.

Read this entry »


Part 9: Now, the bookshelves...

02-24-2017 03:27 PM by Bermuda_Les | 4 comments »

The bookshelves are relatively simple compared to the Cabinet Base, and they went together fairly quickly and easily. Custom made the simple moldings that just finished of the top and bottom of the shelving unit, sanded the unit, and next weekend will be staining and applying shellac… Here’s my main lifesaver helper Dave hard at work, while I do the important job of supervising… Hahahaha!

Read this entry »


Part 10: Here's the details...

02-25-2017 11:31 PM by Bermuda_Les | 1 comment »

A comment by RobNPHX @ lumberjocks.com asked about the details, so I thought I’d post a couple of pics about the detail trim. Here are a couple of shots of the top of the bookshelves. On the very top, I placed a 2-1/2” x 3/4” strip around the top. It overhangs the sides and front face frame by 1-1/2”. Under that is a strip of 3/4” material that I made into a cove molding. And at the base of the bookshelves I placed 3/4” quarter round just to fi...

Read this entry »


Part 11: First Cabinet/Bookcase Completed!

05-11-2017 02:00 PM by Bermuda_Les | 5 comments »

Finally completed the first of two cabinet/bookcases. Hope it doesn’t take as long to complete the second, but time will tell.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com