Plant stand #9: Finally complete

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by BJODay posted 09-23-2016 04:14 PM 1144 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 8: Final assembly Part 9 of Plant stand series no next part

I received the tile and the plan was to cut a mortise in the top and drop it in. I used a forstner bit to hog out the bulk of the waste and used chisels to complete the job. The drill wandered and gouged the top outside of the mortise area. I thought okay, I can add a walnut inlay frame around the inset tile. Well lots of hemming and hawing about how well this would work and look. Finally decided to start the top over.

Took only a few hours of labor. This time I used a plunge router to cut the mortise. Worked better. It was a large area to cut with a chisel.

This is the bottom of the table top. The two large holes were so I could pop the tile out while working on the fit. When I was happy with the fit I glued in the tile using silicone.

The penny is something I saw another Lumber Jock do on this site. Add a penny with the year you built the project. Easier than branding.

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics