LumberJocks

Coffee table for woodworking angst

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Antti updated 02-06-2020 06:13 PM 5 parts 2835 reads 5 comments total

Part 1: Second coming

01-18-2020 08:16 AM by Antti | 0 comments »

After couple of years debating with my wife whether it would take too long for me to make a replacement for our bedroom dresser, I got the go-ahead. After buying the raw materials – I didnt remember cherry is made from gold apparently – I was sorely disappointed to find the workshop jointer in unausable condition. At this point I had so much bent up woodworking energy that I had to do something. Which didnt require jointing. So I collected all the scrap from my previous walnut ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Two steps forward, one step back

01-28-2020 05:20 PM by Antti | 4 comments »

I got in my jointing session for the scrap walnut pieces making up the table top. While I was at it, I jointed a bunch of scrap cherrys as well, in case I’ll make a third similar table. It seemed all went really well with jointing as well as with the glue-up. Nice sap-wood stripe in the middle and all… (The third thing being glued is for replacing the door to our sauna. Maybe not fine woodworking, but fun work anyway. The current door is sagging and about to break alltogether....

Read this entry »


Part 3: Table top taking shape

02-02-2020 04:25 PM by Antti | 0 comments »

As the measurements are slightly different from the first evolution of this table, I had to adjust the diameter of my ”compass” a couple of millimeters. Easy-peasy. What wasnt so easy-peasy was trying to avoid a knot on the show face, while keeping within the material… When I was (nearly) certain I had a couple of millimeters safety margin, I proceeded with the routing. I started near the ”tight” spot, so I would be able to do a second try if my circle would have been missing a corner. ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Final touches

02-04-2020 06:40 PM by Antti | 1 comment »

I didnt take pictures of the chamfering, but here are the tools I used: The base with the stop-blocks and a rounded edge kept me from accidentally going over the line when using the agressive bigger rasp. I started with the rasp, but soon realized the block plane was a lot more effective for getting rid of the excess material. I had a line for the edge thickness and another one for the ”end” of chamfer on the bottom side. I clamped the piece to the base, shaped an area, rotated, rep...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Done!

02-06-2020 06:13 PM by Antti | 0 comments »

Three coats of Osmo oil-wax, and screws in place. The relevant screw holes are somewhat elongated to allow for wood movement. Here she is with her older sister Cherry.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com