LumberJocks

Cherry dresser and night tables to match #2: Live and learn

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Antti posted 03-08-2020 01:38 PM 860 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Serious planning Part 2 of Cherry dresser and night tables to match series Part 3: Progress at covid-speed »

I finally got the project moving forward. I loaded the car, and it turns out there is some sort of sensor for overload:

It cost me a vacation day, but the planks are jointed, planed, and glued – wohoo! I used dominos for alignment (didnt even put in glue to them), and they really worked like a charm.

The parts are now 50 mm thick, and will be put through the planer a couple of times now that they have been glued together.

Massive, you might think? Well you might be right! The idea was to make the dresser from as few parts as possible, and thereby minimize the time required for the build. For the nighttables there is no issue: You can see the structure so it needs to be solid all the way, and as the pieces are relatively small they wont weight that much.

The dresser is a different story.

I quickly realized making the body from 8/4 planks was a huge mistake, even if I will be thicknessing the walls to 45 mm (appr 1 and 3/4’). The piece would have been 3 times cheaper, AND better if I had gone with 4/4 and just a separate face frame from thicker material. After beating myself up for this a little bit (ok, a lot), I moved on. The dresser will be AWESOME! There was some other mistakes as well, which cost me an extra drive to the lumberyard for refills. That’s OK, because I scored a great khaya plank for my first-of-a-kind guitar project

The plan was to thickness it this weekend, and make the miter joints with dominos. It turned out the planer was not working properly at the shop I have access to. So no further progress at this time.

The saws were working fine, so I got my fguitar project on the way:

I first cut the (originally over 5 meters long) khaya plank into a body and neck planks:

Then I resawed the neck (and headstock) into quartersawn. To my surprise that went really well for a first time:

...just kidding: I screwed up royally with the bandsaw:

What I learned was that you should saw it so that the sawblade ”goes in” the piece on a straight surface, and not from the tilted side where the bending blade starts to go places it should not go. Luckily (!) the screw-up took place just where I was planning to cut the plank. What was even more surprising was that I stopped to think and realized this stroke of luck, instead of furiously planing the whole plank to hide my mistake!



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com