New Work Bench

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by 49er posted 01-30-2017 03:58 AM 1568 reads 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I started a Roubo bench a few weeks ago. It is starting to take shape. It is fairly traditional. The top is 24×96x6 Ash that I cut and had milled about 4 years ago. I made a desk top out of some of these boards so luckily I had just enough boards to complete the top. The bottom will be poplar. This first picture is of 12 inches of the top being moved by myself to the jointer before the two halves are glued together. Never anyone around when ya need help.

Flip it over and do it again and then the other half.

The halves glued.

I sharpened my hand saw in my recently completed Moxon Vise with the idea to cut the ends with the sharpened saw. I changed the plan and cut the ends with my 16 inch Dewalt RAS. I had help moving it this time. I figured the weight at about 350lbs.

Here I fitted a movable block with phenoic runners into the grooves I routed into the top before glue up. I decided to go with a moving screw directly in line with the block, this design should reduce racking over the stationary screw with greater offset. The disadvantage is when in use the screw sticks out further.

This is a large washer I welded onto a one inch acme nut and mortised it into the end block. This is the inside that goes towards the moving block. No fancy breadboard ends with super fancy dovetails for me. A man has to know his limitations.

Gluing the legs. They are one by poplar and will be 7×8 when completed.

One leg ready to be mortised into the top.

Notice in the back ground the new to me used Veritas low angle jointer plane. It is amazing.

10 comments so far

View builtinbkyn's profile


2999 posts in 1541 days

#1 posted 01-30-2017 04:24 AM

Wow massive top. Looks like a really nice build. Following along.

-- Bill, Yo! Brooklyn & Steel City :)

View benchbuilder's profile


285 posts in 3051 days

#2 posted 01-30-2017 11:20 AM

That sure is a big top, you will love it for many years.

View johnstoneb's profile


3131 posts in 2773 days

#3 posted 01-30-2017 02:13 PM

Keep up the blog. I enjoy fallowing these builds.

-- Bruce, Boise, ID

View Deersplitter's profile


28 posts in 1085 days

#4 posted 01-30-2017 02:33 PM

Very nice! I will be following along as well. By the way, that is a huge jointer. What model is it?

-- Shawn, Houston Texas

View 49er's profile


174 posts in 2205 days

#5 posted 01-30-2017 02:43 PM

Very nice! I will be following along as well. By the way, that is a huge jointer. What model is it?

- Deersplitter

Unitronx jointer made in Poland. 16 inch, 5 HP. It works well. It is very heavy.

View helluvawreck's profile


32086 posts in 3467 days

#6 posted 01-30-2017 10:24 PM

This bench is really looking good. You are doing a fine job on this piece.

helluvawreck aka Charles

-- helluvawreck aka Charles,

View 49er's profile


174 posts in 2205 days

#7 posted 02-16-2017 02:00 AM

Four legs mortised and in place.

I went with the BenchCrafted cross after researching all the other options. The two arms are substantial. They need to be because they support all the weight of the chop.

Hogging out the mortise for the cross to hide in.

View 49er's profile


174 posts in 2205 days

#8 posted 03-04-2017 03:56 PM

A little preliminary work on the leg vise before final assembly and moving it to the floor.
The acme rod is 1.5 inches and I remembered to drill a clearance hole in the opposite leg so the vise would close all the way.

I lag bolted the two inside stretchers at the center of the legs. I did this so the leg could expand and contract in each direction and not be bound by the stretcher.
The two outside stretchers are mortised into the legs but left unpegged, floating, to allow the legs free movement.

She stands on her own. Between three other old men and my hydraulic lift table we got it safely on the floor.
I was worried if I tried to set the top onto an assembled base it would be a pain to align the 4 mortises. This worked well.

I made these blocks to keep the bench from racking in this direction. The idea was to orient the grain the same as the top so seasonal movement would be about the same. I will let ya know in a year or two if it worked.
I gave the entire bottom a coat of WaterLox before I stood it up.

Now, to get this leg vise done. The small rectangular hole in the top is a mistake. I will plug it or find a tool I can keep there.

View theoldfart's profile


11042 posts in 3052 days

#9 posted 03-05-2017 11:10 PM

Your going to like that criss cross, I have no regrets on installing mine, no sag whatsoever.

-- "With every tool obtained, there is another that is needed" DonW ( Kevin )

View 49er's profile


174 posts in 2205 days

#10 posted 03-15-2017 01:22 AM

The bottom shelf is almost done. A coat of finish and fastened down is all it needs. Then back to the leg vise.

I found this hiding under my bench in with the rags.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics