Hand crank drill press

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by Gary1163 posted 04-07-2017 12:46 PM 825 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Gary1163's profile


4 posts in 679 days

04-07-2017 12:46 PM

Topic tags/keywords: drill press

I recently found this old drill press at a farm and tractor show , and was wondering if anyone knows what make or model it may be? I can’t find any name or number on any part

8 replies so far

View Ron Aylor's profile

Ron Aylor

2649 posts in 912 days

#1 posted 04-07-2017 12:58 PM

Sorry, I cannot help with identification, but I’ll trade ya! See mine HERE ... LOL!

View hotbyte's profile


993 posts in 3240 days

#2 posted 04-07-2017 01:02 PM

All I know about them is they are called Post Drills since they mount to a post like in a barn. James Wright did a nice restoration of one on YouTube recently.

View dhazelton's profile


2825 posts in 2561 days

#3 posted 04-07-2017 01:12 PM

Buffalo Forge mad a LOT of those, but it would likely say it on the side.

View Gary1163's profile


4 posts in 679 days

#4 posted 04-07-2017 02:17 PM

Well I have 6 other post drills , Buffalo Forge, Champion Forge, and Acme but nothing with the flywheel in the back. The gentlemen that I bought it from said he bought from a farm 50 years ago and it had been on that farm for over 50 years. But he wasn’t sure what it was! I have been looking all over the internet but nobody seems to know . It’s in beautiful shape and it’s a lot bigger than my others , but it has no markings anywhere on it . I was curious if anyone had a clue?

Thanks All

View JADobson's profile


1357 posts in 2376 days

#5 posted 04-07-2017 02:23 PM

Yeah, that flywheel on the back is a pretty curious thing. Mine is from the Canadian Blower and Forge Company. mostly identical to the Buffalo Forge variety.

-- No craft is very far from the line beyond which is magic. -- Lord Dunsany — Instagram @grailwoodworks

View Johnny7's profile


426 posts in 1355 days

#6 posted 04-07-2017 03:22 PM

I think you have a C.W. Coe post drill—possible a no. 8

View Gary1163's profile


4 posts in 679 days

#7 posted 04-07-2017 03:34 PM

Thanks for the info!!

View wflather's profile


33 posts in 1311 days

#8 posted 04-12-2017 01:19 AM

These were also commonly found in blacksmiths shops. To drill metal, your bit needs to be sharp; turning the handle activates an arm that turns the screw cog at the top of the drill, each revolution lowers the bit and if the bit isn’t cutting, it’s bending. They work great though.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics