LumberJocks

Alaska Cabin #2: Diamond Willow & Agate Cabin Kitchen Lights

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Matt Snyder posted 02-06-2019 01:33 AM 419 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Diamond Willow & Agate Cabin Bed Lights Part 2 of Alaska Cabin series Part 3: The Live Edge Counter »

After my diamond willow and agate bed lights turned out so good I decided to do something similar in my “kitchen”. Running across the front wall of the kitchen is an electrical conduit tube that looks ugly and I wanted to hide it behind some diamond willow while adding some LED lighting.

I looked through the pile of wood I harvested in the spring and found a strait enough piece that had some character and was big enough to cover everything up.

To make it fit flush to the wall, I made a planer sled for it. I neglected to take photos of it but it was just a plank that I mounted the trunk onto and shimmed the recesses. That left me with one flat side and the rest natural.

Now came the tedious part. The surface of the bark around the diamonds had to be removed and sanded. What worked best for me was to peck away at it with carving tools and finish it with 2” sanding discs on a drill.

Once I got it all cleaned up I took the router to the back and made a recess for the conduit and the switch box. It fit perfectly, hiding the unsightly conduit and switch box. Now to light it up.

The wood at the centers of the diamonds was soft and a little rotted. I hollowed many of them out and found agates that fit reasonably well. I touched up the agates that needed it with the Dremel and at the same time cut short sections of LED light strips. The wired connectors can be found cheaply at online outlets.

I used super glue to attach the LEDs to the agates. They come in a 16’ roll and can be cut and reattached every few inches. The more LEDs the brighter the “bulb”. I used three LEDs per agate bulb.

I then fitted the agates in place and started wiring them together from the back.

The wiring didn’t take long and it was soon ready to mount in place.

The union of wood, stone, and light really works in this project.

The final part was getting access to the light switch which I purposely hid it behind the log. I used the Dremel to cut a notch in the wood. I then took an unusual flat agate and cut a notch that fit the switch.

Again using super glue I mounted it to the switch and used a strip of LEDs to light it up.

All in all the project was a success. The conduit is hidden and the whole thing looks more natural. The more I do fusing wood and stone with light, the more I want to expand on the idea. The agates are really cool to work with and the beauty of the diamond willow is hard to match.

I hope you enjoy this project. Thanks for reading.

-- - I learn more from my failures than my successes.



2 comments so far

View BlueRidgeDog's profile

BlueRidgeDog

152 posts in 44 days


#1 posted 02-06-2019 02:15 AM

Too much green on the ground! Well done project.

View socrbent's profile

socrbent

775 posts in 2534 days


#2 posted 02-06-2019 02:05 PM

Beautiful look for your cabin. I like the craftsmanship. I bet this is a real eye catcher in person.

-- socrbent Ohio

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com